Come To Canada As A Self-Employed Professional

Come To Canada As A Self-Employed Professional

Immigrating to Canada as a Self-Employed Professional

For those who have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and intend and can make a significant contribution to Canada’s cultural or athletic life, the Self-Employed Stream is a perfect option to immigrate. This program allows creative people and athletes to come to Canada as permanent residents. The self-employed stream aims to attract talented, self-employed individuals to contribute to Canadian cultural or athletic life and enrich Canadian society. This program is not complex as long as one meets the selection factors.

Below is a brief overview of the program. If you think you can satisfy the requirements, please contact us. Our experienced immigration lawyers will be happy to help you.

pottery artisan working in studio writing on a notepad

1. Who Can Apply under the Self-Employed Stream?

To qualify as a self-employed person, you must show that (i) you intend to work as a self-employed individual in Canada and that (ii) you have at least two years of experience in one of the following professions:

  • Librarians
  • Conservators and curators
  • Archivists
  • Writers, translators and related communications professionals
  • Authors
  • Editors
  • Journalists
  • Translators, terminologists and interpreters
  • Creative and performing artists
  • Producers, directors, choreographers and related occupations
  • Conductors, composers and arrangers
  • Musicians and singers
  • Dancers
  • Actors and comedians
  • Painters, sculptors and other visual artists
  • Technical occupations in libraries, public archives, museums and art galleries
  • Library and public archive technicians
  • Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries
  • Photographers, graphic arts technicians and technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts
  • Creative designers and crafts-persons
  • Graphic designers and illustrators
  • Interior designers and interior decorators
  • Theatre, fashion, exhibit and other creative designers
  • Artisans and crafts-persons
  • Patternmakers – textile, leather and fur products
  • Athletes, coaches, referees and related occupations
  • Athletes
  • Coaches
  • Sports officials and referees
  • Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport and fitness
  • Film and video camera operators
  • Graphic arts technicians
  • Broadcast technicians
  • Audio and video recording technicians
  • Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
  • Announcers and other performers, n.e.c.
  • Announcers and other broadcasters
  • Other performers, n.e.c.

French e-book on reading device

2. Is knowledge of English or French language required?

No, but knowledge of English or French may add points to your application. To be successful in this program, you must earn a minimum of 35 points (out of a possible 100 points) based on the following factors:

Relevant Experience (within 5 years of application)
Maximum 35 Points
Five years’ relevant experience35
Four years’ relevant experience20
Three years’ relevant experience25
Two years’ relevant experience20
Maximum 10 Points
21 to 49 years of age at the time of application10
Deduct 2 points for each year of age over 49 or under 21
Maximum 25 Points
(Doctorate OR Master’s Degree) + 17 years’ full-time or full-time equivalent studies25
(3-year Trade Certificate OR LLB or Medical Degree) + 15 years’ full-time or full-time equivalent studies22
(Bachelor’s Degree OR 2-year Trade Certificate) + 14 years’ full-time or full-time equivalent studies20
(Bachelor’s Degree or 1-year Trade Certificate) + 13 years’ full-time or full-time equivalent studies15
1 year post-secondary + 12 years’ full-time or full-time equivalent studies12
Secondary school education5
Official Languages
Maximum 24 Points
High Proficiency16 pts for First Language and 8 pts for Second Language
Moderate Proficiency8 pts for First and Second Language
Basic Proficiency2 pts for First and Second Language
Maximum 6 Points
Spouse’s or common-law partner’s education3-5
Minimum one year’s full-time authorized work in Canada (applicant or spouse)5
Minimum two years’ full-time post-secondary studies in Canada (applicant or spouse)5
Family Member in Canada5
Maximum 100

person sitting on the floor reviewing her finances

3. Are there other factors that are important for this program?

Yes. There is no checklist of factors that the visa officer will consider when exercising his or her discretion. You have to put forward facts that you believe show that you can become economically established in Canada. In our experience, the key factor for a positive decision is having a solid financial record and the availability of funds to become economically established in Canada. Thus, the more money you have, the better your chances of becoming economically established in Canada. If you have significant financial assets, be sure to provide as much evidence of these assets as possible, including bank statements, investment statements, tax returns, properties, etc.

4. How long will it take to receive a permanent residence?

While the processing times vary, in our experience, it usually takes from 1 year to 2.5 years to process your application under this stream. However, the good news is that you may apply for a work permit to arrive in Canada earlier to start your business while waiting for the outcome of your permanent residence application.

5. Are there any other conditions I must satisfy once I arrive in Canada?

There are no further requirements for you or your business once you arrive in Canada as a permanent resident.

How We Can Help

We are here to make your application for Canadian immigration simple. We can guide you through the application process and save you time and money by making sure that you are providing the correct information and documents to the Canadian immigration authorities. We understand what it takes to be successful in this program, so we will present your application in the best possible way to ensure a positive outcome.

What Kind of Visa Do You Get At The End?

The result of the Self-Employed program is a Canadian Permanent Residency for you and your immediate family members. Permanent residency is the equivalent of a US Green Card in the US. As a permanent resident in Canada, you will be protected under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and able to live and work anywhere you want in Canada. Permanent residency is one step below Canadian citizenship and can lead to citizenship if you live in Canada for 1095 days as a permanent resident.

Now is a great time to get started with your application, and we would be excited to help you on this journey if you qualify for this program.